Friday 28 April 2017

The Membranes ‎– "The Gift Of Life" (Creation Records ‎– CRELP 006) 1985


The ironically titled "The Gift Of Life", was, funnily enough, an early release on Alan McGee's  nascent Creation Records.....Yes, the label responsible for such crimes against culture as Primal Scream, The Boo Radleys,and the despicable Oasis, yet also responsible for such Modern Pop wonders of the world like the early JAMC singles and MBV's "Loveless".
What The Membranes were doing on a label such as that I can but guess; part of McGee's 'throw enough shit at the wall then something will stick' philosophy.....then when it sticks(Oasis), he could sell out his independent spirit to some awful conglomerate.
I Once met McGee doing an embarrassing DJ set in Manhatten, and I managed to pass myself off as that bloke from the Boo Radleys to ponce free drinks......sucessfully I may add.Also embarrassingly, my cohort in Scouts Of Uzbekistan slipped him an early Scouts demo cd, which he promised to listen to......needless to say we weren't signed up to his new 'Poptones' label.....thank fuck. 
Also on that night were Poptones' new signing 'Outrageous Cherry', who played a set with the lady bass player obliviously unplugged for the first four tunes...one of the evenings highlights.
As for The Membranes, they still sound like they are trying to turn some very ordinary post-punk tunes into some deliberately detuned shambles, and call it noise; the Florence Foster Jenkins's of Post-Punk Britain.
As for "The Gift Of Life",both the album and the state of the human existence; it's the kind of gift you'd want to come with the receipt included so you can get your money back.
Luckily, the download is free, unlike actual Life itself.

Tracklist:

Shot By My Own Gun 4:49
I Am Fish Eye 3:19
Dreadful Sound Engine 4:19
Green And Ghostly Land 8:27
More Skin And Bone 5:30
Mr. Charisma Brain 3:49
Barbed Snake Fish Thing 5:17
Chewing The Fat 3:05
Typical Male Penis 2:44
Fireface 1:30
Gift Of Life 6:39


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You , Thank You, Thank You for this wonderful blog.
Please never stop it!!!
All The Best for you
Olfo

Anonymous said...

Hello It's Me again,
i have forgotten to ask you if you have the albums by The Palookas (Jowe Head)?
Olfo

Anonymous said...

You into the Teenage Filmstars at all? The greatest argument in favor of Creation's existence in my books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnPrdmgwoYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec9RQrUAOYU

Judas Vigilante said...

Hilarious story about meeting McGee. If I ran a record label, Scouts would be one of the first bands I'd fucking sign. I remember being courted many years ago by an agent in London who wanted me to go and play the 12 bar blues club in London. I couldn't for reasons I'll not go into (long boring story) but let's just say I nearly ended up in a god awful boyband called Westlife. Sounds like fiction or plain bullshit, but it's not. I only realised years later when I got a letter from the agent simply stating 'see what you could have had' type statements. I think he just was miffed at the 10% he missed out on! Anyways, Scouts and Zog forever, fuck Poptarts, I mean Popetone.

Jonny Zchivago said...

You should have joined westlife ,then you could have turned them onto weirdness, and saved us all from this great evil.

Jonny Zchivago said...

Oh...and Olfo....no Palooka's sorry.

jonder said...

Yes, great story! I would be glad to share this album if you don't have it (and if you aren't completely sick of the Membranes and related bands):

discogs.com/Various-Death-To-Trad-Rock/release/2514606

Jonny Zchivago said...

share away Jonder, share away.
I will be retreating to my comfort zone of 79-83 over the next few days, so i think i can take one more Membranes and related releases.
cheers.

jonder said...

I posted Death To Trad Rock in the comments on your Cardiff compilation of 2 May. Thanks for all the goodness you have been sharing here since January. I have learned a lot about the Ron Johnson bands from your writing as well.

Fuser said...

Nice story and nice For Free, thank you so much!

DAN GUSTAVO said...

THANX!!!